Instructions to Report and Replace a Lost or Stolen U.S. Passport
Lost or Stolen United States Passport Application Information
Format: Instant Download
Unfortunately is common for Americans to have their personal belongings including passports stolen or lost when traveling abroad. It can be very inconvenient to be out of the US without a passport. In this type of situation it is very important to report your passport stolen, and to apply for a new passport immediately. It is very important to hold a valid non-expired US Passport. There are many countries that won't allow you to enter if your passport will expired in the next six months or less. An emergency trip can come out at any moment and if your passport is expired it will be very difficult or impossible to travel to another country immediately.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship: One of the main requirements to obtain a United States passport is to be able to present proof of your U.S. citizenship. Any of the following can be used as primary evidence of your United States citizenship:
- Undamaged previously issued Passport
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certificate of Birth
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certified U.S. Birth Certificate (some short abstract versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes)
The following is a list of Frequently Asked Questions about U.S. Passport applications, to view the answers to these questions and to obtain more information you may order and download this product.
- Who is eligible to renew or obtain a new United States passport?
- How to show proof of my American Citizenship?
- How to apply for a new passport?
- Requirements to obtain a new U.S. passport?
- Where to apply for a new United States passport?
- List of passport agencies and passport acceptance facilities.
- How to renew or obtain a new passport if you are currently outside of the United States and your passport was lost or stolen?
- How to obtain a new passport if my passport was lost or stolen?
- Requirements for children obtaining a new passport.
- How long does it take the process of applying for a new US passport?
- Do I need to apply in person?
- Passport photo requirements
- How much are the passport processing fees and what forms of payment are accepted?
- How to rush a passport application to obtain a passport urgently?
- How to check the status of your passport application online?
- General application requirements, processing information and links to official forms.
To learn more about how to obtain a new US Passport in the case of a lost or stolen previous passport, order this download document.