Loading... Please wait...

United States Immigration

Information Guides and FAQs

Join Newsletter

Change of Address Instructions for Green Card or Visa Holders

  • Change of Address Guide
  • Change of Address
  • Change of Address
Download information package with Change of Address Instructions.


Change of Address Notification for Green Card or Visa Holders

Information and Instructions on How to Submit and Notify the USCIS of a Change of Address using Immigration Form AR-11

Format: Instant Download

How to Change your Registered Address as a Green Card Holder in the United States?

Order this immigration guide to learn step by step how to change the registered address in your green Card. Every time you move and change your address you must update your registered address with the USCIS.

Green Card Change of Registered Address for Immigration Purposes

U.S. laws require nearly all non-U.S. Citizens living in the United States to report a change of address within 10 days of moving to a new address. All non-U.S. citizens who are required to be registered with the USCIS are also required to keep the USCIS informed of their new address using Form AR-11.  The change of address notification to the USCIS is also mandatory for any alien who has been designated as a "special registrant" under 8 CFR § 264.1(f).

American Citizens Change of Address with the USCIS

Citizens are usually no required to report their change of address to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), unless the citizen have ever filed to be the financial sponsor of a green card applicant. United States citizens or Permanent Residents who have submitted an Affidavit of Support Form I-864 on behalf of someone who has immigrated to the U.S. and successfully became a permanent resident, are required by law to submit the Form Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address to the USCIS, within thirty days of moving, to keep the USCIS informed about their current address.

If you have moved, and you have a pending case, you can change your address directly with the USCIS. U.S. citizens are not required by law to file the Form AR-11 for change of address, however it is recomended to notify the USCIS of any change of address if you have pending applications to avoid no receiving updates or official notifications about your pending case. 

Non-American Citizens Change of Address with the USCIS

If you have moved from your previous address, you need to follow two different steps to notify the USCIS about your new address

Step 1: File Form AR-11 (This changes your address in the USCIS master database)
Step 2: If you have a pending case, you must also file a Change of Address online or call the USCIS National Customer Service Center. (This changes your address for the specific application you have submitted.)

Non-U.S. citizen with a pending case must complete both steps above to make sure to be in compliance with U.S. laws and regulations, and to ensure that the USCIS can reach you at your correct address.

Exemptions from this requirement are non-immigrants currently in A or G status (e.g. foreign government officials and international organization aliens) and certain non-immigrants who do not possess a visa and whose current stay in the U.S. has not exceeded or will not exceed 29 days.

If you want to change your address with the USCIS you will need to have the following information available:

  • Your receipt notice or other notice showing your receipt number (if you have a pending case with USCIS);
  • Your new address;
  • Your old address;
  • If you have filed a petition for a family member, the names and biographical information for that person.

If you are a non-U.S. citizen, in addition to the above please also have:

  • The date when you last entered the U.S. (If you cannot remember the exat travel date, then fill in an approximate date)
  • The location where you last entered the U.S. (the port of entry where you entered – whether by air, land or sea)

Penalties for Failure to Comply with the Change of Address Notification Requirement:

A willful failure to give written notice to the USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of moving to the new address is a misdemeanor crime. If convicted, you (or parent or legal guardian of an alien under age 14 who is required to give notice) can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days, or both. The alien may also be subject to removal from the United States. (INA § 266(b)). Compliance with the requirement to notify the USCIS of any address changes is also a condition of your stay in the United States. Failure to comply could also jeopardize your ability to obtain a future visa or other immigration benefit.

If a sponsor of a green card holder fails to give the required notice of a change of address, then the sponsor may be liable for a civil penalty. The amount of the civil penalty will depend on whether the sponsor failed to submit a change of address notice knowing that the sponsored immigrant has received means-tested public benefits.

The following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Change of Address will be answered when ordering this download:

  • Who is required to notify the USCIS of a change of address?
  • How to notifying a change your address for most pending applications or petitions you have with the USCIS.
  • How do I change my registered address with the USCIS for my green card or visa?
  • How to change the notification address for my pending immigration application or petition?
  • Can I change my registered address online?
  • What is the form AR-11 Change of Address? where can I find this form online?
  • Can I submit form AR-11 online?
  • Is there a filing fee to file form AR-11?
  • How to submit my change of address form by mail?
  • How can I change my address with the U.S. Postal Service?
  • How to reprint a copy of a previously submitted electronic AR-11 Form?
  • May I file form AR-11 for my immediate relatives? Each of us need a seperate form?
  • How can I change my address with the U.S. Postal Service so that any document sent to my old address would be forwarded to my new address?
  • General Information about the Change of Address notification.

Download this information package to view the instructions to start your application to file and submit your change of address notification.

Find Similar Items by Category