Loading... Please wait...

United States Immigration

Information Guides and FAQs

Join Newsletter

Lost Green Card Replacement Instructions

  • Green Card Lost - Renewal Guide
  • Green Card Lost - Renewal Guide
Download Information package with instructions to access and file green card lost application forms.


Lost or Stolen Green Card Replacement

Instructions and Information Guide to Replace a Lost or Stolen Green Card

Format: Instant Download

How to Replace a Lost Green Card, Including Application Forms and Instructions

Order and download this Green Card Replacement Application Guide for instructions to start the application process to replace a lost or stolen Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) and to have access to important Answers to Frequently Asked Questions including application information, eFile, instructions, and immigration forms to obtain a new Green Card.

Green Card Replacement FAQs and Answers Included in this Information Package:

  • I lost my green card, how can I receive a new one?
  • My permanent resident card was stolen, how to replace a stolen Green Card?
  • May I replace my green card from outside of the United States?
  • I lost my green card, how to obtain a travel document to travel back to the U.S.
  • Where to replace my lost green card in the United States?
  • What forms should I file to receive a new green card?
  • How to file for the replacement of my lost green card?
  • Fingerprints and photo information
  • Immigration Forms and Instructions

This immigration package will help you understand all the necessary steps to report a lost or stolen Green Card and how to obtain a new Green Card. It is important to have a valid Green Card with you at all times. The Green Card is a very important document and it is necessary to travel out and in the U.S. and it is an important proof of your resident status with the right to live and work in America.

A Permanent Resident Card, also called USCIS Form I-551 or Green Card, is the evidence of your immigration registration in accordance with U.S. immigration laws, and serves as proof of your immigration status as a U.S. lawful permanent resident with the right to live and work permanently in the US. It is important to understand the difference between the green card itself, and the status as a permanent resident.  Even if you have a valid card you might be considered out of status, for example in the case that you left your residence in the United States permanently and you are now living abroad in another country; also the opposite may happen, you could have an expired or have lost your green card but still have a valid immigration status as a legal resident of the United States.

It is important to understand that in general for U.S. Immigration purposes only people that live in the United States or are in the process of moving to live in the U.S. can receive an immigrant resident status, also known as Legal Permanent Residence or Green Card, except for people temporary living abroad with a valid re-entry permit that allow them to live abroad for up to 2 years, or green card holders with their immediate relatives working with the armed forces abroad, or are civilian employees of the U.S. Government stationed abroad due to official instructions. Green card holders may travel abroad multiple times and re-enter the USA, as long as they do not intend to stay outside the U.S. for 1 year or more, however being out of the U.S. for more than 6 months may already cause suspicious of your intent to abandon your residency. Travel out of the U.S. must be temporary and the green card holder should be able to prove that he didn’t intent to abandon his Legal Permanent Residence, or he may be found inadmissible and denied reentry into the U.S.  Green card holders that need to travel out of the country for a long period of time should apply for a re-entry permit before leaving the U.S., to avoid loosing their resident immigration status.

Lost Green Card

Unfortunately many residents have lost or have had stolen their Green Card or other personal documents, just like many Americans have lost or had stolen a U.S. Passport. If you lose your green card inside the U.S. it is important to file an application to obtain a replacement green card as soon as possible. If you lose your green card abroad while traveling then it might be more complicated to travel back to the U.S. and to obtain a replacement green card, also not having a Green Card will affect your ability to travel in or out of the U.S. Order this guide for information and instructions along with the answer to FAQs about how to replace a lost green card. When your Green card is lost, your resident status is not lost, just the proof of your status is what have been lost, you still are consider a valid U.S. legal resident, however if you don't have a green card with you, then it will be difficult to prove that you are an actual legal permanent resident. You should obtain a new card immediately to have proof of your legal residency with the right to live and work in the U.S., and to be in compliance with U.S. immigration regulations, but keep in mind that you are just replacing the card, not your status as a legal resident. Expiring Conditional Green Card

If you have a U.S. Green Card with Conditions, and your green card is expiring, then do not use the regular USCIS form to renew your Green Card. If your green card was obtained through marriage then you and your husband are required to file jointly to remove the conditions on your green card. If your green card was obtained through investment then use a petition to remove conditions on your green card, to receive a new Permanent Resident Card valid for 10 years.

Expired Green Card

If your green card is expired or is about to expire then it you may order the Green Card Expired information and application guide.
Find links to access the instructions and forms to renew your card by ordering this set of Answers to Frequently Asked Questions and application information.

Green Card Renewal

If you need to renew your green card then you may download the Renewal Green Card Immigration Package with information and answer to Frequently Asked Questions about how to renew your Green Card.

Order and Download this Guide to learn more about the application process to replace a lost Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) and to have access to important Answers to Frequently Asked Questions including application information, eFile, instructions, and immigration forms to obtain a new Green Card.

Find Similar Items by Category

Recently Viewed